Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tasting Tuesday - NXNW Holiday Ale

If you follow me on Twitter, it's no secret that I'm a big fan of North by Northwest. They are a brewpub with excellent cuisine and an ambitious and creative beer selection, and a true Austin original. Plus, they are on my side of town, so I visit regularly. I thought it would only be appropriate that I include one of their current seasonals in a Tasting Tuesday.

Holiday Ale
North by Northwest Brewpub - Austin, TX, USA
Style: English Barleywine
ABV: 8~9%
IBUs: Unknown

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear mahogany. Thin head with decent retention for such high ABV.

Aroma: Light and sweet, barley is definitely at the forefront.

Taste: Rich, warm barley sweetness with a significant nose and mouthful of alcohol. Gasoline notes appear a bit on the breathe-out.

Mouthfeel: A little thinner than your average ale, but it fits perfectly with the barleywine style. Fairly low carbonation really lets the malt sit on your palate and work its magic.

Overall: This is my first experience with any ale that is a self-proclaimed 'barleywine' and I have to say I enjoyed it thoroughly. Based on the style I was honestly expecting the warmth from the alcohol to be the feature. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how forward the malt was and how NXNW really let it define the character. The alcohol is muted enough to keep it drinkable, but also compliments the spiciness in the ale.

I liked it so much, I got a fancy NXNW growler-full:

No comments:

Post a Comment