Wednesday, January 11, 2012

No, no, you throw it with a pitchfork

If you ever need to build a sheaf for highland games, make sure to give yourself a few days lead time.

That's a box containing 20,000 feet of bailing twine, being stuffed into a burlap sack. Unrolling a 10,000 foot spool of that is about is exciting as you would expect it to be. Luckily Ashley brought home some Shiner Spring Dortmunder and I got to enjoy it in my oh-so-proper glassware from Christmas. Sheaf is an event I haven't practiced at all since my last games, and the season is rapidly approaching. I had a knack for it right out of the gate in my first try at it, but I'm gonna need a lot more than 22 feet to run with the big dogs.

The next big thing for me in highland games is a clinic/get together with throwers from the region as well as the Vincent brothers (both pros). I started brewing a Scottish Ale for the occasion that I call Heavy Athletics Ale, and I think it's coming together after an initially slow start to primary fermentation. I transferred it to secondary earlier this week to get it cleared up and hopefully subdue some of the substantial hop bitterness.

I am feeling pretty positive about the upcoming season. I am setting PRs in the gym as well as when I'm throwing. They are small in the great scheme of things, but I finally got the light weight for distance to fly 50 feet last week, and my open stone spin is finally catching up to my glide. Heavy weight for distance is still dismal, though.


Trained with Ashley this week, and had a ton of fun. Today was not my best training performance by a long shot, but at least I got in there and pushed myself. Our little guy gave us a very rough night last night, so I had a feeling it would catch up to me during deadlift. Boy was I right.

Push Press
135x5
155x5
170x5

Deadlift
315x5
345x5
385x5x2 - I called it right there. It was horrible, and going for the 5th set would have been nothing but ego. Just didn't have gas in the tank.

Chins
10x3

DB Rows
120x10x2

No comments:

Post a Comment