Wednesday, February 15, 2012

But I have been pooping so well!

Interesting week, athletically speaking. I took last week easy in the weight room since it was my de-load week. I also decided at the last minute to register for a fencing tournament that was taking place on Sunday. I only had enough time to get my gear out of storage, make sure it was working and try on my fancy pants. No practice at all. I really just wanted to scratch my competitive itch since I hadn't done anything to test myself physically since last November.


It was a pretty fun tournament, I only saw one person that knew me from back in the old days, and a 10-year old girl told me I was "hot." Also, I made it to the finals, but lost and took 2nd place.


This week was the first "speed" phase for me in Matt Vincent's program. It's always a challenge for me shifting gears from strength work to moving lighter weights as fast as possible. I think having throwing to tie it all together helps it make more sense though. Today looked like this:

Warm Up
5 min treadmill
Foam Roll
Static Stretch
Yoga Complex

Push Press
45x5
95x3
125x3x10

Bar speed actually got better as I progressed into the later sets.

Deadlift
135x3
275x3x11

I felt like I was flying through these, but I imagine they looked pretty slow.

Lat Pulldown
3 sets of 10

Barbell Row
135x10x3

Throwing is up to 2 or 3 times a week and there is still a lot of ugly to work out. I recently discovered that another excellent highland games thrower named Spencer Tyler lives just down the road from me. We are planning to throw together this weekend. If I don't eventually get good at this sport, it will be 100% due to me just not trying hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment