Friday, November 18, 2011

Scavenging for Gains

Before I trained today I drove about 10 miles north of my house to the San Gabriel River. I parked illegally by the shore and walked out into a dried up portion with a bathroom scale under my arm. I was looking for stones. Not just any stones - stones that I could balance in my hand and throw. I have an obsession, I admit it. Found a decent 22 lb. stone and a few good open stone candidates. I love Texas, but it's not the best destination for finding suitable stones for highland games. Any piece of limestone that weighs over 10 lb. is approximately the size of a basketball.

Slammed my energy drink and headed to Lord's Gym.

Deadlift
Warm up 135x10x2
285x5
325x5
365x5

Felt a little stiff-legged from squats earlier this week, but good overall. Bar was moving quickly enough.

High Pulls
135x5x5

Felt a little uncomfortable with these. Honestly can't remember the last time I ever did them. Started clicking by the last set, which was the one I filmed.

DB Swings (no KBs at this gym)
50x20x3

100-Foot Carry Medley - Farmer's Walk / Hydrant Carry
4 trips

Threw my new 22 lb. stone a little. The handle is a little strange, and the wrist wrap exacerbates that problem. I had decent tosses with a couple of different hand positions though.


Cale, the owner of Lord's stopped by right as I was finishing up. We had a great conversation about the future of the place and what we want to do there. A lot of potential and a big gaping hole in terms of strength facilities around here.

I really want to take my cranberry ale to my buddy's tailgate for the UT Football game tomorrow morning, but it still tastes so flat and thin. Gonna try to force carbonate it one more time tonight and see what I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment