Friday, September 16, 2011

My CNS is fried and my dortmunder is chilly.

I have been trying to salvage what's left of this week's training, but yesterday was the coup de grâce. It wasn't pretty but it looked something like this:

Dynamic Effort Lower Body

Low Box Squat
45x10
95x8
135x5
205x2x10

For a few sets I decided to pull the box out and free squat, since it had been quite a while. Weight was plenty easy, but I can tell I have some form issues that start with my setup. Then I proceeded to load up 315 for a free squat attempt and failed it. Easy weight normally, but I was lifting for pride and was already gassed. Finished up with some weighted 45-degree back raises and chest-supported rows.

I had nothing in the tank, and if there is nothing else I can take away from this week it's that I learned what it feels like when your nervous system has been beaten into submission by Max Effort work. In my infinite wisdom, I followed up a great ME lower day on Monday (2 personal records set on suspended good mornings) with the another ME lower on Tuesday. My best friend, Aaron was in town and he was a day behind me in training. So being a dutiful friend, I buckled down and did it all again. Once we hit 275 on suspended good mornings I told him "you're on your own from here." I did the accessory work, but I could sorta feel the damage was done.

Wednesday I tried a ME bench day that started with pin press. Absolute waste of time. I squirmed under 245 then just went home.

Tonight we are having a party at our house. Sort of a housewarming/birthday thing that Ashley put together. I bottled up some of my Guinness clone and slapped some labels on it. We will see what the beer drinkers at the party think.


2 comments: