Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ugly Squats, Pretty Lady

The wife and I hit the gym together today. We squatted in side-by-side cages. Isn't that adorable? My training was okay, I suppose. Squat numbers still aren't what I'm used to, and my form feels pretty unstable. I suffered a torn meniscus in my right knee several months back and I can still tell that I am gun-shy about it. Didn't help that it's been tender since last week's dynamic effort squat day.

Max Effort Lower:

Low Box Squat
45x10
135x5
135x3
185x3
225x3
255x3
275x2
305x1
315x1
335xf

Reverse Hypers
3x8

Cable Crunches
2x15

45 Degree Back Raises (plate behind head)
25x10x3

Band Pull-Aparts
3x15

Weight - 205

I have a long way to go to even get back to where I was in my last meet. I don't yet feel like the training methods I am using are paying off. Being as relatively small as I am for powerlifting, I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be better served by a program with more volume and hypertrophy. I made good gains on Wendler's 5/3/1 last year, and it kinda calls to me on tough stretches like this.

For months I've really been trying to fix problems with my form that I overlooked while I was making decent strength gains early on. One step back, two steps forward I suppose. Still, it's frustrating right now.

I almost completely forgot that The Texas Craft Brewers Festival is this Saturday. I think I will try to convince the family to go down to Town Lake and watch me taste beers, scratch my chin and give opinions that sound well-informed but are not.




No comments:

Post a Comment