Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Two-Year-Old is Tough

Our little boy met his new pediatrician today. He got his flu shot as well, and I was once again amazed at how tough our little man is. The needle went into his thigh and he let out a slight grunt, furrowed his brow, then continued playing a game on my phone. He got a plastic frog and a sticker. Pretty sure he feels like he pulled one over on us.

After we dropped him off at school, I spent way too much time at the hardware store trying to get the correct parts to install the ball valve on the mash tun. Also I went ahead and upgraded to ten gallons to give myself some scalability later on. How's that for a buzzword? Thanks, business world!


I rushed into my training session afterwards and made the huge mistake of skipping my normal warm-up. Soon, my knee would make me aware of just how bad of a call that was.

Dynamic Effort Lower

Squat
45x5
95x5
135x5
235x2x8 - My right knee felt like it was stuffed with knives and about to explode. I had to take a long break between sets 6 and 7. Punishment accepted.
325x1
325x1 - This was supposed to be a heavy double but I felt far too unstable on the first (as you can see), so I just racked it and set up quickly to hit it again.



Reverse Hyperextensions
50x8x3

Weighted Decline Crunches
25x8
10x15x3

Weight - 205

Got the job done, but certainly wasn't a top-notch session today.

I finally finished reading Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer by Maureen Ogle. I highly recommend it for any beer nerd or history buff. It's a great narrative about how the beer market in the U.S. became what it is today. It does a great job of disproving the conventional wisdom about how big soulless macro-brewers destroyed the art of beer in America, and craft brewers are somehow entirely different animals sent to save it. My favorite parts are her exhaustive profiles of the early beer moguls: Adolphus Busch, Frederick Pabst, August Uihlein.


I'm going to bottle my dortmunder tomorrow. Please calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment