Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bananas and Bobcats

This weekend I bottled the dortmunder I have been lagering for the past 4 weeks. This beer had a ton of promise when I racked it to the secondary and it tasted crisp and awesome. However at bottling time it had a very distinct banana off-flavor. Somehow some fruity esters managed to show up to the party.

This was me.

I'm hoping that the beer warming up to room temperature and being bottle-conditioned that way will cause the yeast to wake up and eat some of that flavor away. I have no scientific or experiential basis for thinking that will happen. Just sheer, tragic hope. Wife and sister-in-law were my bottling crew, so at least I had good company.

Awesome weekend otherwise. Went to the Oasis with my lady and had fish tacos. Got to enjoy the view of what my friend Brad called a "nice fish pond - formerly Lake Travis." Still beautiful though. Got a chance to work on Ashley's chip-eating technique. Sorely needed, as you can see:


Today we took our little boy to the Austin Nature and Science Center, which is always a hit with him. In addition to a "scawey" stuffed bear and a dino dig sand pit, he gets to see real, live coyotes and bobcats. So, when he sees those in our backyard he can remember that mommy and daddy said "those can eat you" and maybe he will run away instead of petting them and bringing them in the house.


Probably the most eventful development of the weekend is the activation of the Invisible Fence around our house. The dogs have basically run wild since we moved in here and I'm sure the neighbors are just totally in love with our yappy little bastards now. I hope to get some video of one of them getting shocked, but for now here is a picture of a cybernetically-enhanced Bailey:



3 comments:

  1. Some people think those electro collars can give doags the cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Paulie do you think the cancers will make them shut up and stop running into other peoples yards?

    ReplyDelete