Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tasting Tuesday - Austin Amber

This is something I am hoping will become a weekly feature at S&B. At least half of this blog is about beer, so the least I can do is offer my services as a beer reviewer. Serious labor, I know. Feel free to share your opinions and experiences with each beer I review in the comments section. For the inaugural Tasting Tuesday, I wanted to kick things off with an Austin-based brewer.

Austin Amber
Style: American Amber
ABV: 4.8%
IBUs: 32
Appearance: Pours slightly cloudy copper with a thin, white head. Retention was middle of the road - the pic snapped on left was about 30 seconds after pour.

Aroma: Hints of sweetness, but very muted overall. No serious hops coming through, but enticing because of the touch of roasted malt.

Taste: The sweetness of the malt is definitely the feature here. I was hoping to get just a tiny bit more of that classic American cascade hop flavor, but being a malt-lover, I can't complain too much. I think if I had one wish for this beer it would be that the brewers got a little bit more out of the malt (especially the chocolate).

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, spot-on for an amber. Carbonation was low and I feel like that detracted from the complexity just a bit. Finishes very clean.

Overall: Austin Amber is certainly a drinkable brew, and I did find myself going back for more immediately. It isn't going to blow you away with it's complexity or hop profile, but it is a fairly solid amber. It's actually an excellent beer to introduce someone to what malt tastes like without the typical American craft beer "hop up."

If you are a fan of Austin Amber, feel free to hit me up with your opinions. These guys are a solid Central Texas brewhouse and they do a great deal for the craft beer community. Their 7th anniversary is coming up later this month, and I certainly wish them many more successful years. Follow Independence Brewing Co. here:


If you live in the Austin area, come out to their Beer & Food Pairing at the Draught House on October 30! I'm planning to be there; I will be the guy that looks stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment