Monday, October 10, 2011

Sorry if you came here for beer.

This week is the last full training week before the meet on the 22nd. Since the week prior will be basically be a de-load (rest) week, today and tomorrow are my last chances to go heavy. These two maximum effort days are supposed to be when I take the box away on squats, pull out the pins and boards on bench and see what the the 11 weeks of training have solidified into.

Today's squat session wasn't a good sign.

I will spare you the details, but it was pretty much a normal max effort progression. Dropped to singles at 315 and above, but it culminated with two failures at 355; 10lbs lower than my best squat and right around my best in a meet (352 or some such).

Bench, as we have witnessed, is set to be a similar disaster. I still haven't moved my meet best of 255 since the actual meet where I did it. I'm only somewhat confident I can hit 245 with a competition pause.

So where does this leave me? Worse than I was 8 months ago. I have spent all day trying to determine what has gotten me here. Here is a list, in order of likelihood, of the things that could have gone wrong.

  1. I'm a weak little bitch.
  2. I took too long to get back to heavy lifting after the meniscus tear. I did some accumulation work and tested myself up to 85% or so at times, but I never really pushed it on either bench or squat because I was afraid of the knee.
  3. I lost too much weight. I dropped about 18 lbs. for the strongman competition in August, and I never really bulked back up. I was 217, then cut to 199. I have been a steady 205 since then. Now, it's not like I couldn't be a ton stronger at 205 (see #1), but I think some of the weight I lost was useful stuff like...muscle.
  4. I just don't respond to this kind of programming (conjugate periodization), or I programmed myself wrong. Either is likely but the program isn't rocket science. If I'm honest with myself and admit that 11 weeks ago I was probably much weaker than I thought I was, it's reasonable to believe I have made some modest gains. Then again, I do have a sneaking suspicion that this program really isn't ideal if you are a lean, drug-free, raw lifter.
  5. My technique is shit. Probably true, but I don't think it's biggest problem I'm facing.

I'm pretty down about it today; way more than a reasonable person should be. It's just stupid powerlifting numbers, after all. I'm probably not going to reach my short-term goals, but all I can do
is keep putting in work.





No comments:

Post a Comment